MAY 5TH, 2021 – National MMIWG2S Awareness Day
Today we acknowledge and raise awareness of missing and murdered Indigenous women, girls and two-spirit people.
We know that the loss of Indigenous women, girls and two-spirit people is felt deeply by their communities each and every day. We also know that as an organization in the NWT, we can work to hold ourselves and others accountable to changing the course of history for the Indigenous women, girls and two-spirit people that are still with us.
We sat down and reviewed the Calls of Justice specifically for 2SLGBTQQIA+ people as outlined in the report done by the National Inquiry for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, Girls and Two-Spirit.
- Collaborate on inclusive policies for research done on and with 2SLGBTQQIA individuals and communities
- Create an Indigenous 2SLGBTQQIA committee to identify and bring forward areas of advocacy and better inform the work of RCYK
- Be intentional and supportive in the search for more Indigenous 2SLGBTQQIA Board Members
- Hold NWT RCMP accountable to taking training on interacting with 2SLGBTQQIA Sex Workers
- Explore respectful research opportunities to that collect a historical record of 2SLGBTQQIA people in the NWT
- Utilize social media and other platforms / opportunities to raise awareness on Indigenous 2SLGBTQQIA people and communities outside of designated days of awareness
- Work with organizations, businesses and community groups to develop community guidelines for respectfully engaging with 2SLGBTQQIA individuals and communities
Opportunities for Community Education
- Inquire about current programs, training and supports to foster parents of 2SLGBTQQIA children and welcoming to children who may come out as 2SLGBTQQIA while in their care
- Collaborate with the NWT RCMP to break down the cissexist, heteronormative structures that uphold the colonial institution of policing
- Review the existing LGBTQ2S+ Workplace Awareness training currently offered jointly by RCYK and the GNWT to ensure that content is accurately reflective of and educational about Indigenous 2SLGBTQQIA individuals and communities
Inquiries for the Government of the Northwest Territories
- Look into how the GNWT creates their committees and whether or not it is mandatory to include 2SLGBTQQIA people in decision making processes
- Seek funding of core operations to expand RCYK’s work and geographical reach of support
- Request that the NWT Healthcare Guidelines for Transgender, Non-Binary and Gender Non-Conforming People document be turned into a pamplet resource and available at all healthcare facilities
- Push for the creation of a healthcare unit dedicated to 2SLGBTQQIA mental, physical, sexual, emotional and spiritual health
- Review the GNWT’s strategy for policies, procedures and safer spaces for 2SLGBTQQIA people in the creation of the new homeless shelter
- Ask GNWT to mandate that all shelters have policies, procedures and safer spaces for 2SLGBTQQIA homeless and at-risk people
- Petition the Legislative Assembly to open the territorial education act to mandate that each school in the NWT has policies, guidelines and Gender & Sexuality Alliance (GSA) Clubs, to protect and support 2SLGBTQQIA students, staff, families and community members